Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wall Art for Florida House


Nana, 1940's

Nana, 1940's


Nana, 1940's

This is a project I've wanted to do for some time. My foxy Nana is my muse!
First, I took store-bought stretched canvas (AC Moore, on sale $5, 16X20) and painted it with the same latex paint that is on the walls of the bedrooms. Then, using my first silkscreen, I inked the background green image. Then, once dry, I took the second silkscreen & did the black ink overlay. I'm pleased with the pop-art quality of this. After all, if I'm going to have to have a hot babe in a bikini on my walls, it's going to be my late, great Polish grandmother!

I had the vellum for creating the silkscreen printed at Seneca Blueprint. I'll post my technique for creating the silkscreens in another post but a quick tutorial is available here from Peach Berserk, where I took the class & fell in love with the fashions many, many years ago.

4 comments:

  1. Those are so cool. I love that it is trendy and also has special family meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really great! I took a printing class in college but never thought I could manage it at home and I too can really appreciate that Pop Art look! Very awesome subject with a great story!

    ReplyDelete