Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My First Curtains



Posted by: Erin

For the Home Sweet Home challenge I made curtains. My very first curtains. I've been told that curtains are so easy, and I found a pile of tutorials online. I ended up with this one at Design Sponge--Sewing 101: Curtains. Of course, the whole taking measurements thing was still completely baffling.

First of all, I had planned to make the curtains for the playroom. Took my measurements, added the inches according to the tutorial and went to the little neighborhood sewing shop for some advice on fabric. Of course, a great home decor fabric was on sale that would look terrible in the playroom but great in the office, so I called Pete at home to measure the office window. This (of course) took 10 times longer than expected because he figured I could convert feet to inches on the fly and then didn't take into account the addition of a curtain rod. Ugh.

Finally got the measurements and the nice sewing shop lady helped me figure out how long I needed to buy the fabric--you have to account for the long bottom hem plus shrinkage (and poor cutting skills if you're me). Then she asked me a thousand questions about how I wanted them to bunch up, etc. and that was hurting my head so I figured I'd just make the panels as wide as the fabric already was (54 inches) instead of having to cut more and make the panels wider. My window is 80", so 108" total, minus 5" hems and shrinkage and cutting should work out fine... We added 18" to the length (per the tutorial instructions, she said 12" would be fine next time, but I wanted extra just in case) and HOORAY! finally cut the fabric! Thankfully it was on sale ($10.99 a yard instead of $16.99!), because just the fabric was $30! She also talked me into a $14 hem guide.

You don't really need this picture, but I am excited, ok? Check out that new iron! I must be getting old if I am excited about a new iron, right?

I measured what seemed like ten times (I have zero patience for measurement) and finally cut two equal panels!!!! The actual sewing was easy--hem both sides 1/2" then 1" (tutorial showed 1/2" but recommended 1"), bottom is hemmed 1/2" then 5", top 1/2" then 2" (I did 3" because the curtain rod was fat). For the hem, here is where the $14 "notion" kept me sane--check it out!


Granted, the company spells "EZY" like fools, but the tool really was worth the money! You can iron right on the thing and it has markings on both sides and you can use to help make a straight or curved hem! It was especially nice for working such a long hem...If you don't have one and are going to make curtains or something--get one. You'll be glad you did.

Anyway, I finished one panel and held it up to the window to make sure that it was going to fall correctly before starting the second panel. While I worked on the second panel, Pete stomped around, swearing at the drywall and installing the curtain rod.


Finished the second panel, hung it up, and surprise, surprise--the second panel is about an inch longer than the first. No idea how, but whatever, it was my first try! Thankfully, that is usually the spot where my little box of drawers, books, and pens sit, so when they are back in place you can't even tell!


I was amazed at how easy (minus all the measuring and cutting) making curtains actually was! This tutorial was also VERY easy to follow, with LARGE, clear pictures for the sewing novice. I'm not sure that making curtains is always more cost effective than buying them, but you have so many more options! I have big plans to make curtains with grommets at the top for the sliding door and tab-top ones for the playroom, and perhaps a valance for the kitchen. We'll see how they turn out, or if it takes another 10 months to make them...

4 comments:

  1. Hey look at you! Those are cute and I absolutely love the fabric! I had the same issue with some horrible curtains I made last year, they brought me to tears- for real! They are still up and I just keep telling myself, "hey they are functional". Since my sewing machine is in need of some TLC I have thought of a non sewing project that I have started today! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the fabric! and measure?/ whats that haha. I usually eye it, or hold it up to whatever to measure it. lol i am sure that i will need to measure some things eventually i am sure, so i might want to start doing that too. I am still looking for my Feb. idea....

    ReplyDelete
  3. When/if we buy a "real" home I am going to fly your ass down here to help me with curtains. They turned out really, really well.

    ReplyDelete