Monday, January 23, 2012

January Collaboration

So I have not been on here in a while but had been checking up on all the wonderful stuff going on here!
So I bet Im not alone in this but I was prepared to say I collaborated with Pintrest and Martha Stewart but I ended up asking my husband for help with some simple man tasks... Things I probably could have done BUT I felt he had watched enough football yesterday! Im such a B!

So I initially was trying to decorate my mantle and thought it would be cute to have a chalkboard to write a Valentines Day quote and carry over to other holidays. My husband was super busy with work so I was stuck with a piece of plywood i had found in the garage but thought it was a good size. I thought I wanted something pretty big because we have high ceilings. I ended up hating how big it was so I had my hubs drill holes and I hung it in the kitchen as a family message board! I really like it!

This is the plywood I used. I sanded it down quick but especially rounded the corners and sides.

This is the Martha recipe i used! I chose a standard color but you can use any color. Its one cup paint and 2 TBSP grout. I have plenty left to do more projects. The directions are on there as well.
http://www.marthastewart.com/271574/custom-color-chalkboard-paint
It was a bit tricky to get the lumps out... but just keep stirring!Painting the whole board, I used a sponge brush which worked great. careful to get the sides!Here is a close up of the rounded corners. after the paint dries I sanded it like the directions said but I had two little ones in the house and I just used the orbital sander and a finer grit paper but not as fine as Martha suggested... It was fine.
Finished! It worked great I have horrible hand writing (as you can see) this was the 4 th try... I have erased it with a damp cloth a bunch so far!PS. This was a super easy Pin I found also! Felt carelessly sewn together and cut in slices! it was FAST!












No comments:

Post a Comment