On the last day of April, I finished my project for the month - starting seeds and digging a flower bed!
We moved over the winter, and I had to leave all my plantings behind. The previous owner of this house did not like yard work, and had zero landscaping. Not a plant, flower, tree or shrub, not a vine or a dandelion popping up in the yard. Time for that to change!
I've never started plants inside before, so it's just one seed starter tray from Burpee plus the seeds for a few things I know we like. We have 2 kinds of cukes, tomatoes, bell peppers, basil, zinnias and marigolds. About half of the seeds have germinated...
(when you run out of row markers you can totally use plastic forks. I suppose I could have whittled more or something, but whatevs :D)
I bought some more "direct sow" seeds, and will collect some perennial plants as the season goes on.
And the front yard went from this:
Yes, shocking difference. But that was 3 hours of work! I laid out the hose into the shape I wanted, and Bob (husband) cut the shape with a shovel. Then we (he) dug out the sod and rototilled. The soil actually looks great, so with the addition of some peat moss and manure I think we're in business!