Thursday, May 5, 2011

Belated April Showers

For the April Showers theme, I decided to make soap. I've been making my own for a few years now and it is really not that complicated.

I used the Chocolate Soap recipe from Majestic Mountain Sage. I melted the fats on the stove in a regular cooking pot, since they were ordinary cooking ingredients.
Next, I added the cocoa & chocolate.I added the lye to the water next. I used two cut-out plastic pop bottles & stabilized them in cut out milk cartons. The plastic did, in fact, warp from the heat & the cartons kept them from spilling over & creating a toxic mess.
I poured the hot oils & hot lye mixture into the mixing tub (used only for craft purposes) and blended with an immersion blender to trace.
I poured the mixture into more half-cut milk cartons to solidify. A few days later, I peeled them away, cut the soap into bars, and wrapped them in wax paper to cure. In a few more weeks (after the bars cure) I'll smell like candy as I get clean!

2 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to attempt soap, but i am not sure about working with the lye, i hear it is not too good to work with and all the percautions you need to take when working with it. So i was going to find a good kit. i like that you added some interesting ingredients!! Let me know how it turns out and how you like your soap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They just make it sound scarier than it is. It's the same stuff they use in Drano. Just rubber gloves & goggles. I'm way more nervous using the table saw!

    ReplyDelete