Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Late to November


Since I can't post anything until December 26th (I've been crafting my face off!) I'm posting pics from a baby shower we threw for my friends Larry & Theresa last year. It was a Pirate-themed co-ed baby shower on the beach, because, what other theme can you do for the couple who met at a Jimmy Buffett concert?


I made the invitations by dyeing plain 8.5"X11" office paper and envelopes in coffee and air-drying them, then ironing them flat. The Pirate Boy stamp came from Buffalo Stamps. I wanted a pirate baby, though, so I cut off his cute little head.


I searched the internet for a baby stamp and found this bear on ebay. It wasn't worth the trouble of actually ordering it & waiting for it to get shipped, so I decapitated the bear with Photoshop & used my Pazzles & runner stamp material to create a "bottom half" stamp. (This is probably copyright infringement, but since I wasn't making any money off of it I'm fine with that.) I also made the "Pirate on Board" stamp with the Pazzles from a stock image from the internet. I stamped the images (other images came from a $1 stamp set from Joann's, Studio G if I remember correctly) and used black embossing powder for a raised, glossy image. The text is in "Pieced of Eight" font, printed in a regular inkjet printer. I inked the edges using Tim Holtz's "Walnut Stain" to further age it.

I also made "Thank You" cards with the Pirate Baby embossed in black, and a watermark image on the envelopes. I made seals by punching small circles, stamping an "Aargh!" in black and adding a glue dot (with the paper backing still on one side) so Mom & Dad didn't have to make an extra stop at the store.




I made silkscreens for all of the images on the quilt. I stamped images from the pirate sets I had, scanned them, enlarged them & used them on the 12"X12" quilt patches. The anchor & ships wheel came off of the internet, though. The quilt reverses to a Firefighter theme, since Baby John's father is in the fire department, and a Pirate/Firefighter quilt is the coolest thing a baby could hope to puke on.



My friend Pam had the "Pirate Baby" made out of stained glass at Creation Station in Silver Creek, NY, to match.

Instead of "Baby Bingo," because that is lame, we did "LARRY" with Dad as the center square.
They loved it!

Also, we had cake. It matched the invitations. It was delicious.

This is how we roll at the beach.

6 comments:

  1. And also "rubber stamp." Apparently, typing is not my thing tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my dream baby shower. Seriously. Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A Pirate/Firefighter quilt is the coolest thing a baby could hope to puke on." Ha! I love it, both your comment and the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, the "Babies ARRRR Us" on the invitation cracks me up :)

    ReplyDelete